Subject: Re: emergency advice needed
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/30/2006 21:08:21

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:47:40 +0100 (BST), Steve Blinkhorn
> <steve@prd.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Yes, PAM should be the only big problem. You can install /etc/pam.d from
> > > the 3.0 etc.tar.gz, that should make PAM working.
> > >
> > > There used to be a UsePam=no option you could add to /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
> > > make it not use PAM, but I can't find this in the docuementation now.
> > >

> > Unfortunately I no longer have a working tar (otherwise I could just
> > untar 1.6.2 executables from the ISO image I had intended to mount,
> > rather than the 3.0 I actually did).   So the question is whether
> > there is a way to circumvent PAM so I can login remotely if I get my
> > ISP to reboot with the 3.0 kernel.
> >
> Try doing
>
> 	echo 'UsePam no' >>/etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> to add the line.  (Yes, that's the right option; I use it.)

Presumably that will only affect ssh connections - I'm not sure sshd
is set up properly on this machine (more of a long story about why I'm
having to do all this).

> Do any of the commands in /rescue work?  I see tar there.

Some do - but then a few from /bin and /usr/bin do anyway.   	It's
the combination of the new system call(s) and PAM that looks as if I
may have a real problem.

> Does cat work?  Cat the proper files from some other machine in another
> window, and use cat to create the files you need in /etc/pam.d.  (That
> assumes, of course, that mkdir still works -- it's in /rescue, too.)

cat and mkdir still work anyway.   Looks like I may be in for some
typing.   Clock time dictates that I'll have to leave this hoping that
the telnet window stays open - this is the UK on GMT+1.   I had to
leave and lock the office a little while ago.

Any other helpful suggestions more than welcome.   BTW is there a
/etc/passwd issue here?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>