Subject: Re: emergency advice needed
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/30/2006 20:47:40

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:16:14PM +0100, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> > I think I see where the problem may lie.   The window I currently have
> > open onto this machine is a su shell.   But if I try to su again, I
> > get "pam_start failed".   IIRC this relates to the warning in the
> > docs and what I am most concerned about.
>
> Yes, PAM should be the only big problem. You can install /etc/pam.d from
> the 3.0 etc.tar.gz, that should make PAM working.
>
> There used to be a UsePam=no option you could add to /etc/ssh/sshd_config to
> make it not use PAM, but I can't find this in the docuementation now.

Unfortunately I no longer have a working tar (otherwise I could just
untar 1.6.2 executables from the ISO image I had intended to mount,
rather than the 3.0 I actually did).   So the question is whether
there is a way to circumvent PAM so I can login remotely if I get my
ISP to reboot with the 3.0 kernel.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>