Subject: Re: emergency advice needed
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/30/2006 19:09:01
>>>"Steven M. Bellovin" said:
 > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:37:46 +0100, Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>
 > wrote:
 >

 > Is it ftp or ftpd you can't use?  That is, can you call out from the
 > machine to fetch useful sets?
 >
 > 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

I can't call in or out, but I have the complete 3.0 distribution on
the machine in question.   The problem arose because I *thought* I was
dealing with an ISO image of 1.6.2, whereas in fact it was 3.0.

My belief is that all the 3.0 sets are installed now, and I have
put the 3.0 generic kernel in place as /netbsd (I was planning to
upgrade, but not quite this way).   My concern is that a reboot using
the 3.0 kernel may not work given what is currently in /etc and the
noises in the docs about postinstall etc., viz that I may not be able
to login.   This is where I'm really concerned.

Various (actually most) common-or-garden utilities are reporting "bad
system call", though I can still cp and by various fiddles ls.

Can't find a usable editor either.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve@prd.co.uk>