Subject: Re: Create a swap drive
To: Chuck Findlay <cfindlay@nbnet.nb.ca>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2006 17:28:31
On Thu 08 Jun 2006 at 10:39:53 -0300, Chuck Findlay wrote:
> Can anyone help me create a swap drive?
> I have the disk installed, but its just being a pain.
> The disk is wd1, it seems to be ok, and dmesg shows it.
> I've tryed fdisk, pdisk, disklabel, but i don't realy understand how
> to use any of them.

You should make a swap partition on it using disklabel. Its interactive
mode is probably the easiest. When done, it looks something like this:

# /dev/rwd1d:
type: unknown

16 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 b:   4153968    410319       swap                     # (Cyl.    407*-   4528*)

The fstype of 'swap' is the key. Traditionally, the b partition is used
but this is not necessary.
Then add the swap partition to your /etc/fstab file:

# filesys     mount point       type    access                  dump    fsck
# location                              + opts                  freq    pass
/dev/wd1b     none              swap    sw                      0 0

That should do it!

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.