Subject: Re: Booting an extended partition using NetBSD
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2006 20:11:25
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:59:27PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have NetBSD's bootloader in my MBR. Yesterday I installed Linux and
> its bootloader GRUB on an extended partition (logical partition,
> rather). How can I tell the NetBSD bootloader to chainload GRUB for me
> so that it boots Linux?
> Any suggestions please?

Try 'fdisk -u wd0', then edit the relevant partition entry (the defaults
will be correct) and add a 'bootmenu' string.

fdisk might decide it needs to update the boot code (with mbr_lba) if that
code isn't already present.

Also note that the menu string for the extended partition is held in the
'mbr' sector for that partition, and may get deleted by other versions
of fdisk.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk