Subject: Re: laptop battery lifetime extension tips
To: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2006 10:12:31
--UQbD1GG3bSiPxgVO

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 06:59:46PM -0500, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
> I'm going to be spending the next week at a conference, and I know
> I won't always be able to be near an outlet.  A co-worker running
> one of those other OSs (his is from Redmond) with the same laptop
> can get nearly double the time out of his two batteries that I can.
>=20
> What tips do people have for making your battery last as long as
> possible, when you want to use the computer?
>=20
> I have an atheros wireless card, which I guess I can't do powersave
> with.=20

Try and avoid using it (pointless i know), or bring another card that
does support powersave. This sucks a fair amount of juice once you've
eliminated the worst other loads.

> I have radeontools installed for shutting off the backlight,
> I have estd set up to adjust the CPU frequency down when I'm not on
> AC. I mount / (my only partition) with noatime, nodevmtime, and soft
> dependencies.

Neither noatime or nodevmtime are really necessary anymore, they're
only flushed out to disk when the inode is written for something else,
or when it is recycled.  This has other issues elsewhere, but at least
the disk stays quiet normally and you can have atime data usable
again.

> I've got a Latitude D600. I'm running a few days old current.

Kill atrun from cron (or even cron itself), and anything else that's
making regular log entries and spinning up your disk.

Kill any funky animated desktop tools that you don't need, or
processes that poll stuff regularly and wake up your cpu.

bring a treadmill or exercise bike with generator attached? :)

--
Dan.

--UQbD1GG3bSiPxgVO

--UQbD1GG3bSiPxgVO--