Subject: Re: laptop battery lifetime extension tips
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/28/2006 19:51:26
In message <20060528201434.1e33d815.smb@cs.columbia.edu>, "Steven M. Bellovin"
writes:
>On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:59:46 -0500, Tracy Di Marco White
><netbsd@gendalia.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be spending the next week at a conference
>
>Usenix?  I'll be there, too.  Any other NetBSDers planning to attend?

Yes.  We'll be flying in tomorrow, and back on Sunday, but I don't know
of any other NetBSD types attending.

>> I have an atheros wireless card, which I guess I can't do powersave
>> with.  I have radeontools installed for shutting off the backlight,
>> I have estd set up to adjust the CPU frequency down when I'm not on
>> AC. I mount / (my only partition) with noatime, nodevmtime, and soft
>> dependencies.
>
>What is radeontools?  I don't see anything of that name in pkgsrc.  I turn
>off my backlight via 'sleep 1;xset dpms force off'.

sysutils/radeontool, I had an extra s.  'xset dpms force off' doesn't
work for my laptop, so I need to use radeontool.

>> I've got a Latitude D600. I'm running a few days old current.
>>
>Unfortunately, there's not much more you can do -- see port-i386/32973.
>All of the fixes I've seen proposed appear to be buggy.
>
>You're right; it's a major PITA.  I wish it were fixed.

I did much better with my old laptop which did APM, this one doesn't
do APM at all, and ACPI isn't that great a help yet.

-Tracy