Subject: Re: Repost: root on md forces single-user flag for init
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/2006 17:25:15

> Probably because there's usually no /etc/rc nor getty on memory disks and we
> want a shell anyway
>
>> ----
>>
>> How exactly does this work?  All the INSTALL kernels are the same, and
>> they load right into sysinst without a prompt.

I have to admit I do not follow, based on review of the code in
sbin/init/init.c and src/sys/dev/md*, as well as the INSTALL kernel file,
I do not understand this check.

         if (unit == 0) {
                 /* The root ramdisk only works single-user. */
                 boothowto |= MEMORY_RBFLAGS;
         }

int unit seems to be the same in INSTALL v.s. GENERIC, except INSTALL will
get MFS_DEV*

Anyway, is that comment acurate? It works fine for me.

Time for a cocktail!

~BAS