Subject: Re: ethernet
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/15/2006 08:27:40
On 15 May 2006, at 13:10, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 03:40:19PM -0700, Mark E wrote:
> > > I was just chatting online with my dsl help service,
> > > they told me the dsl modem has builtin pppoe and it
> > > will automatically detect a connection.  I guess I
>
> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 08:44:58PM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> > I imagine the DSL modem has a built-in DHCP server, router, and NAT.
>
> I'm not having any luck getting pppoe to work with my new provider,
> and this comment perhaps is the answer.
>
> I have this black box (actually it's off-white :) that hooks up to an
> optical fiber cable.  There is a jack, labeled LAN, that a regular
> ethernet wire plugs into.  The instructions say to plug your computer
> (Windoze of course) into that.
>
> Does this mean that I might not even have to do pppoe?  In other words
> the black box does the pppoe negotiation for me, and all I need to do
> is be a tcp/ip dhcp client relative to the box?  (Seems strange,
> though, that they would give me the pppoe id and password.)

Your dsl modem might do pppoe like my adsl one does pppoa. I have a
pppoa id and password that once modem is connected to lan is used to
configure login of the modem via its own web interface over the lan.
The default configuration has dhcpd running on the modem.

PC uses dhclient to get ethernet address from the modem 10.0.0.2 for
pc with gateway set to modem ip 10.0.0.1. From pc the modem can be
configured by accessing 10.0.0.1 from a web browser (needs a gui one
for mine). You should have had all details on this from your
provider. My most recent provider supplied a preconfigured modem.

There is another type of connection to a pc where ppoe itself comes
into the pc.

David