Subject: Re: ne0 not configured
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2006 15:19:50
On 14 May 2006, at 20:47, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:03:35AM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> > On 13 May 2006, at 14:45, Mark E wrote:
> > > I just installed netbsd, I barely know how to look at
> > > files and edit them, that's it.  I want to connect to
> > > my dsl service, I was following directions in the
> > > netbsd guide to configure pppoe0 but I couldn't get
> > > ne0 up.  How do I configure ne0 (ethernet)?
>
> As mentioned in another post, "ne0" may not be the interface
> card you have.  My prefered method for checking out which
> interfaces are working is to look at the output of "dmesg".
> Use some command like `` dmesg | grep " at" |more '' and look
> at the first field of each line.  If you know the maker and
> brand of your card, someone on the list will have an idea what
> device name will be associated with it.  (Mine happens to be
> "re0", to give an example.)

You're probably right. I was going to reply, then where did OP get
ne0 from? but after reading again and checking for ne0 being used in
the guide I guess it's as likely it came from there so 'ifconfig -a'
should do the trick unless there was a problem detecting the hardware
when a search through dmesg might help.

David