Subject: Re: ne0 not configured
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/14/2006 20:47:56
On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 10:03:35AM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> On 13 May 2006, at 14:45, Mark E wrote:
> > I just installed netbsd, I barely know how to look at
> > files and edit them, that's it.  I want to connect to
> > my dsl service, I was following directions in the
> > netbsd guide to configure pppoe0 but I couldn't get
> > ne0 up.  How do I configure ne0 (ethernet)?

As mentioned in another post, "ne0" may not be the interface
card you have.  My prefered method for checking out which
interfaces are working is to look at the output of "dmesg".
Use some command like `` dmesg | grep " at" |more '' and look
at the first field of each line.  If you know the maker and
brand of your card, someone on the list will have an idea what
device name will be associated with it.  (Mine happens to be
"re0", to give an example.)

> I'd try using dhclient as first shot.

Do we need dhclient for pppoe?  I'm asking since I, too, can't
get pppoe working with my new provider.  The documentation did not
indicate that dhclient was necessary.

> In /etc/ifconfig.ne0 file (or whatever your interface is in place of

Do we need an ifconfig.xxx file with pppoe?  It seemed in the
documentation that this was handled in the /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0 file:
	! /sbin/ifconfig re0 up
	! /sbin/pppoectl -e re0 $int

> If that doesn't work you need to have a static ip and enter that into
[...]
> defaultroute="10.0.0.1" in rc.conf) and add nameserver(s) to

All I got from my provider was an ID, password and IP addresses
of primary and secondary name servers.

Anyway, I can't get to first base with pppoe, so any ideas much
appreciated.  If you find the secret, Mark, let me in on it. :)
I'll relate what I find out, too.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/