Subject: Re: buildfloppies.sh: Image is 3387 bytes (3 KB) too big to fit on 2 disks
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/2006 15:54:20
--d2IMS6fuC0p5eWIP

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:36:40AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Seems like the way to go?

Yes, that or using the boot_cd9660 functionality (which is missing a
couple of details, like working 'ls' from the bootloader prompt, but
is perhaps likely to be more MI).  It seems likely we'll need a mix of
both.

That's enough to get a kernel loaded, and have a functional filesystem
to mount as root (rather than needing an md image in the kernel).

What I'd also like to see, regardless of how we get to this point, is
using the init.chroot functionality to allow a kernel with very small
md root image, perhaps loaded via some media that might include a
floppy, to then use some other media (non-bootable CD or USB stick,
NFS, etc) as root to load additional binaries and continue the
install/rescue/whatever process. =20

This would mean that the "install image" filesystem and the "method of
booting it" need not be so tightly coupled as they are now. Perhaps we
then may not need to duplicate so much of the install media for
distribution, including also offering useful opportunities for sharing
on the "multi" CD/DVD images.

--
Dan.

--d2IMS6fuC0p5eWIP