Subject: Re: buildfloppies.sh: Image is 3387 bytes (3 KB) too big to fit on
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/2006 04:46:38
On Mon, 8 May 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Sorry if my ignorance of the install process is showing.  But would
> going to three floppies create a new situation where systems with small
> memories (think 4MB) cannot function?
>
> I've got NetBSD running in 8MB, and I can tell you, it isn't much fun.
> Losing even more space to an MD is likely to make 4MB systems (even
> more) unusable.

Well, just because you split something on 3 floppies instead of 2 sure
won't make it smaller. So either take out some drivers, take something
from the ramdisk, or have it grow.

> Or do we just not care about systems with memories less than X (FSVO X)?

I think we should.

You can use Qemu to see what's the minimum amount of RAM needed to run
stripped down kernels (GENERIC/INSTALL_SMALL/TINY).

  - Hubert