Subject: Re: buildfloppies.sh: Image is 3387 bytes (3 KB) too big to fit on
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2006 20:44:13
On Mon, 8 May 2006, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> The CDROMs -- likely the most popular install media -- are the problem. The
> El Torrito emulation section must be no more than 2880kb, and that's what's
> overfilling now (ramdisk-big).
>
> It's been suggested that we forego the emulation, but older BIOS's likely
> won't be able to deal with that.  I think the idea was to have a small El
> Torrito section with just a bootloader, to load a kernel out of the ISO
> image. Does the current bootloader support that? (Don't answer that. I just
> built a current CDROM -- I'll try to load one of the compressed kernels right
> now.)

So close.  "dev" and "ls" seem to be broken, by the way.  "boot
cd0a:i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz" actually spins the CDROM
(as does cd0d:...), but says "No file found...".  Was that supposed to
work?

It occurs to me that anyone who wants to work on this might need to
actually build a release, so again, what to toss out?  IMO, "bad144"
stands out as the most useless thing on the list, and "bootfloppy" and
"bootfloppy-com" just fit without it, but it's not big enough to buy
us much time before this happens again.

Frederick