Subject: Re: supermicro board an Adaptec Raid Controller
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2006 15:17:25
In message <4447FDC4.9080104@johnrshannon.com>"John R. Shannon" writes
>Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Reinhold M. Roppert wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> we want to use the
>>> supermicroboard PDSMP-8 with the integrated Adaptec AIC-7902 SCSI
>>> Raidcontoller.
>>>
>>> I did not find any Information if the Controller works on netbsd 3.0.
>>> Does anyone know if netbsd works on this board/controller with SCSI RAID
>>
>> http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ahd+4+NetBSD-current
>>
>> It's not a RAID controller.  Just a good-old SCSI HBA, according to the
>> docs.  You can use RAIDFrame, though.
>
>I assume that he was inquiring about the Zero-Channel RAID with Adaptec
>2010S ZCR Card. I'm using the AIC-7902 SCSI on several Supermicro
>boards, without the 2010S, without problems.

Or perhaps Reinholt was misled by a spec sheet which mentions
(BIOS-based) RAID-0 and RAID-1, e.g., under Windows?

I'm told Adaptec 2010S are all backordered, so that seems unlikely.
Supermicro does list an alternate ZCR for several AIC-7902
motherboards, but that alternate ZCR uses a Marvell chip for which
there's no NetBSD driver, so that's not of help in a NetBSD context,
either.