Subject: Multiple users of audio devices, any progress?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2006 11:05:55
	Hello.  I am working on a project which will ultimately require two or
more processes to use the same audio device.  Because one of them
is probably going to be Vmware or QEM, I don't believe using the enlightened
sound daemon is going to work.  However, I know there has been talk in the
past about making it possible to allow multiple devices to use the same
sound device.
	Also, it occurs to me that for those cards which support multiple
voices, a driver could instantiate multiple audio devices, i.e. audio0,
audio1, etc.  I'm thinking of cards like the Creative Labs Sound Blaster
Live!  Then, as long as you point user processes at different audio
devices, sharing should work fine.  (I'm assuming that mixerctl settings
could be used to properly balance the two concurrent sounds for each
device.)
Does anyone think this is a really bad idea, and, if so, why?
-thanks
-Brian