Subject: Re: Apple Boot Camp
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Ed Gould <ed@left.wing.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2006 17:11:45
>> This is a mistake for them.  I estimate it will be less than a month
>> before we see the first virus that enters through Windows and infects
>> an OS X installation on the same machine.  It will bring a whole new
>> era of malware to OS X.
>>
>> Now, running Windows in a virtual machine under OS X...
>
> Agreed strongly, on both counts.

Fundamentally, I agree as well.  But this may solve a real problem for
me.

On the boat, I have to run Windoze, because (a) that's where the good
navigation software and Ham radio email software runs, and (b) I can't
convince my wife to use a Mac.  But when we're in port (dock or
anchor), and I want to have one 802.11 network connection to shore and
another on the boat for out laptops, it would be much easier to manage
with a Unix system routing between them.  Yes, I could dual-boot
Windoze and NetBSD (which is what I will do if this solution doesn't
pan out for any of a number of reasons), or with the right hardware I
may be able to run Xen3 (but I need low-power hardware, and I haven't
seen that yet in a suitable configuration that will support Windoze
under Xen).  Plus, when I'm running Windoze, I won't be on the net, so
I should be pretty well protected from attack.

	--Ed