Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 1550 hangs at boot.
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/2006 23:56:02
On 3/16/06 10:35 PM, "Thor Lancelot Simon" <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:11:01PM -0600, Peter Eisch wrote:

>>> What card is this?  This looks *very* wrong.  That "i960 RM PCI-PCI"
>>> is not really a bus bridge, it's a CPU, generally used on RAID adapters,
>>> that has an integral PCI bridge.  This looks like a RAID card whose
>>> BIOS has failed to run for some reason, leaving it uninitialized.
>>>

>> This is a Dell 2550 with dual 1.13MHz PIIIs, the PERC 3/DC RAID controller.
>
> Let me try again.  I don't know anything about the Dell system in question,
> nor which cards you have installed in it, but I am curious about just how,
> exactly, those Adaptec SCSI chips happen to show up _behind a bus bridge
> that is usually part of a RAID controller_, when a RAID controller that
> I *know* uses that same CPU/bridge is *also* probed and attached.
>
> How, *exactly*, does the PERC3/DC talk to its disks?  I am guessing that
> it is through those Adaptec SCSI channels.  No?

Borrowing from an ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5866557664

No.  The drives are connected to channel 0 (nearest the slot cover) on the
PCI card.  The Adaptec channels are unused in this configuration and are on
the mainboard.  (Other PERCs do use those channels with a RAID enabler card,
but this isn't such a config.)

I guess I haven't answered your questions...

peter