Subject: Re: which intel cpu's support dual processors?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/2006 09:47:52
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:08:05PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> I have a matching pair of celeron 1GHz cpu's (SL5ZF) and was going
> to get a used dual-processor, socket-370 mainboard to use them in.
> But after finding out that such a MB must be fairly rare, I did a
> little research and discovered in the Intel pdf spec sheet on
> celerons that these cpu's are designed for uni-processor boards.

Although Celerons do not officially support SMP, there are ways of working
around the limitations. Certain motherboards (the Abit BP6 being probably
the best known) allow Celerons to be used in an SMP configuration - I'm not
sure if the 1Ghz models are supported though. If you want to go the extra
mile, you can also tape over certain traces on the CPUs to get SMP
working - Google will have more info.

> Specifically for running NetBSD 3.0/i386 with dual processors, is
> there a list of recommended/tested processors and motherboards?
> Any recommendations or "good experiences"?  Thanks much.

I'm pretty certain most PII/PIII motherboards should work fine, as long as
the CPUs are matched (at least in speed, if not in stepping).  I have 3.0
running fine on a 440BX chipset dual PII machine (Gigabyte GA-6BXD
motherboard) with non-matched-stepping CPUs.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/