Subject: Re: Bug in x86 ioapic interrupt code for devices with shared interrupts?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/2006 13:35:41
In message <20060303211035.GA943@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:02:19PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:53:15PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
[...]

Thor, Manuel, Jason:

Can I add one further piece to the puzzle?

I've never seen problems quite like Thor describes.  But something I
*have* seen is that when I put a multi-port PCI-Express bge into an
amd64+nforce4 NetBSD machine, and I ifconfig one of the bge's up,
NetBSD reports about 70,000 interrupts/sec, but none of the interrupts
actually get to the bge driver.

Ever since that, I've been quietly suspecting we won't actually fix
all the amd64/nforce4 problem without implementing MSI.

I'm really *not* looking forward to what I'll find, once I get to try
an Opteron system with the Broadcom/Serverworks HT-2000, which
(according to Broadcom's product sheet) has an on-chip version of the
same multi-port bge core.

Will the HT-2000 blow up the same way as nforce4, or won't it?
Inquiring minds want to know. Or don't want to. Or something.