Subject: Re: Bug in x86 ioapic interrupt code for devices with shared interrupts?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/2006 22:49:01
tls@rek.tjls.com (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:

>One of the NetBSD Foundation servers is a dual-Opteron with an onboard
>dual Broadcom gigabit chip.  This chip, as far as I can tell from some
>experiments, gets seriously disturbed by the driver's tendency to
>acknowledge interrupts even if they're not actually from the device.

I believe something similar hits a Thinkpad T43 which is i386 and
not amd64. Almost all peripherals take irq 11 and using the bge
interface causes symptoms I correlate with bad interrupt handling.
I.e. carrier status isn't recognized correctly, network traffic
is slowed, USB misses disconnect events, DDB freezes when returning
to a live kernel.

bge0: interrupting at irq 11
uhci0: interrupting at irq 11
uhci1: interrupting at irq 11
uhci2: interrupting at irq 11
uhci3: interrupting at irq 11
ehci0: interrupting at irq 11
iwi0: interrupting at irq 11
cbb0: interrupting at irq 11
auich0: interrupting at irq 11

I first suspected iwi to be at fault, but I guess this is just
because it has activity on irq 11 when enabled.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de