Subject: Re: xen: boot hangs after detection of fwohci
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2006 09:50:42
Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au> writes:

> I recompiled XEN0 and XENU without firewire support which fixed that
> problem.

XENU does not have firewire support.  Can you be more precise about
what you did

> I still consider this a bug.

Of course, but question is how to fix it.

> > It might help to post the full dmesg of the machine when running w/o
> > xen; someone might have an observation about odd hw.
>
> Not sure how to do this with a hanging kernel since it doesn't give me the
> oportunity to do so.

You said your problem was with xen.  What happens if you boot a
GENERIC kernel _without_ any xen involved?  I asked this before, and
presumably that's ok since you only asked about xen, but your bug
report lacked this important information, which would allow us to get
some information about whether this is a problem with fwohci on your
hardware with or without xen, or just under XEN0.

So, if you boot without Xen (even using grub to load a GENERIC
kernel), what happens?  If it doesn't work, that needs addressing
before you bring xen into the picture.

> Now that it is running, the other thing I noticed was that the
> system appears to spend a awful long time accessing the harddisk
> making the whole system very sluggish.

This seems odd; my NetBSD xen systems have very good disk performance,
70 MB/s raw read rate from disk (SATA), 57 MB/s read from ffs on the
disk, and 54 MB/s read from the 'raw' device in a domU (/dev/xbd0d)
when that device is backed by a file in dom0.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>