Subject: video garbage and boot hangs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/2006 16:46:19
I've been having a bit of grief with one of my installations...

After replacing a motherboard, I realized that I have only 3 PCI slots
available on the new board. With 2 HiPoint IDE controllers and a Gigabit
Ethernet card, I'm out of slots.

Note: Removing the ethernet and installing a PCI VGA (Mach64), the machine
boots and runs fine.

When I installed a BFE 6600GT PCI-E video card, BIOS passes, Bootloader runs,
Hit enter, or wait for timeout. Kernel loads...

It's hard to tell _when_, because it happens quickly. Either during the
kernel loading, or just after, the screen gets sparsely populated with
colourful garbage characters. Then, a moment later, the kernel boot
messages start to show up - however the boot reaches 'Activating Kernelized
RaidFrame' and hangs.

I can probably run this box headless, since I know the machine runs fine
with PCI video, but I'd appreciate any thoughts about what's going wrong,
since I'd rather solve this before someone else has the same problem.

Motherboard Asus A8N-E, 1G RAM, BFE 6600GT 128M PCI-E video, 2* HiPoint IDE,
6* 200G IDE HDs, Surecom (Realtek) Gig-E. NetBSD 3.0_RC3

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Unless you have a solution
when you tell them things like that, most people collapse into a gibbering,