Subject: Re: Pentium M 760 speedstep support?
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2006 08:01:49
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:33:26 +0000 (UTC)
mlelstv@serpens.de (Michael van Elst) wrote:
> nludban@columbus.rr.com (Neil Ludban) writes:
>
> >NetBSD 3.0_RC5 booting on a new ThinkPad T43p says this:
>
> >cpu0: "Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz"
> >cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep running at 1500 MHz (1356 mV)
>
> >Does anybody have a patch to support SpeedStep for this processor?
> >Or, current pointers to docs so I can create my own?  The links in
> >est.c are stale, so far I haven't found anything that has obvious
> >tables or instructions for calculating the right values :(
>
> There are no official tables, Intel just gives two values. See
>
> http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pm/sb/CS-007981.htm
>
> Everything else is only supported by ACPI, either by interpreting the
> ACPI tables yourself or by asking ACPI to set different performance
> states. Neither is _currently_ supported by NetBSD.
>
> --
> --
>                                 Michael van Elst
> Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de
>                                 "A potential Snark may lurk in every tree."

Thanks for the pointers.  I've been able to hack together a quick
patch to support 1500 and 800MHz using the high and low values.  The
BIOS seems to ignore its power settings and always boot at 1500, so
now I'm looking into the ACPI docs to figure out how to get the rest.
This will probably take a while :)

-Neil