Subject: Re: Well-supported onboard video A64 mobo?
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/2006 08:41:44
In message <20060210040850.GA24644@kirkkit.kollasch.net>,
"Jonathan A. Kollasch" writes:

[...]

>The USB2 doesn't configure in 3.0 (though it does in -current).  The RAM
>is forced to clock at DDR266 (though both ends claim support for faster).

With a recent socket-939 BIOS, if you populate both banks with
high-chip-count DIMMs, the BIOS will slow down memory timing by
one grade, to prevent alleged data integrity problems.
(Too much capacitive load for the unbuffered DIMMs?  I dunno, I'm
just a software guy. Doesn't happen with socket-940 registered
DIMMS, tho.).

Empirically, when I install 4GB of PC3200 RAM (DDR400), the
BIOS configures it to run at DDR333.  If I pull out either half of
the DIMMs, the BIOS reports the RAM at DDR400.  If you have sticks
rated at DDR333, then maybe what you see is "normal"?