Subject: Re: Recommendations for NIC
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/2006 14:41:05
Personally, I'd happily recommend the bcm5721, but they are fairly
expensive, unless you buy a motherboard which already has one
onboard;, but that's not very helpful to those who already have
motherboards with Intel PCI-e gig-e chips onboard.

In message <ds8ijd$8op$2@colwyn.zhadum.org.uk>Matthias Scheler writes

>1.) I can't find any PCIe network chips in the wm(4) manual page.
As far as I know, wm(4) doesn't yet support PCI-Express variants.

>2.) NetBSD definitely find the PCIe network chip on my recent PC motherboard:
>
>Intel i82573L Gigabit Ethernet (ethernet network) at pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured
>
>    Supporting is unfortunately a different matter.

I'm still awaiting backordered add-in cards.

Are you willing to try dropping in changes based on the PCI-Express
support in FreeBSD's if_em driver? if you are, I (or perhaps Jason,
if he's interested) can probably supply patches for testing.