Subject: large memory machines - current status?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/2006 16:24:36
I just got a new machine (Intel 915 chipset, 4 GB RAM) and am
intending to set it up for Xen.  But, I wondered if the large
memory/NKMEMPAGES issue would cause trouble.

So, following what I've read on the lists, I edited
sys/arch/i386/include/param.h and changed NKEMPAGES to 1 GB, and then
built a release.  A stock kernel (without this change) worked fine,
and the modified kernel paniced very early in the boot phase.

I'm going back to recent -current sources, but I'm curious if I'm
missing somehing here - are 4GB i386 systems believed to work in
-current now?  Or was this problem only for > 4GB amd64 systems?

On a semi-related note, has anyone used Intel 945 or 955 chipsets with
Pentium Ds, and if so with which PCI-E graphics card (for normal
X/text/images but no 3D)?