Subject: Re: Recommendations for NIC
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/2006 06:15:45
On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:01:13PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> thus Abhi spake:
> >Hi,
> >    I'm using NetBSD 3.0 on a P3 box, and i'm thinking of buying a NIC
> >for it. Can anybody suggest me some NICs?
>
> of course this depends on your needs, but if you are willing to pay a
> /bit/ more and save you a lot of trouble, go for NICs with intel
> chipset. cards with realtek chipset are not the way to go, e.g.

I have had good luck with Intel and Broadcom chipsets.

However, I have seen NetBSD fail to recognize Intel gigE chipsets that
are listed in the man page as supported.  They don't even show up in
dmesg nor pcictl, so it may have something to do with PCI-express.

I've used realtek NICs with no trouble, but not in servers.

The NICs that have given me the most trouble have been 3com, though I've
heard their equipment has a good reputation.

Ben