Subject: Re: 3.0 Very Slow?
To: None <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2006 18:03:32
Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com> writes:
> Quoting Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com):
>>
>> Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com> writes:
>> > My latest pkgsrc build, with pkgsrc updated to a Jan 12 (from the
>> > trunk), completed in 99304 seconds.  Same base 3.0 build (so same
>>
>> As I said... WHAT VERSION OF THE COMPILER. Newer versions of gcc are
>> dramatically slower.
>
> Well, I had figured that since I said that I had built the 2.1 release
> and the 3.0 release from cvs using build.sh,

build.sh's first step is to build the compiler suite in the source
tree and use *that* to build everything else. The compiler version in
the hosting system is irrelevent since it is only used for bootstrap...

> and that the pkgsrc
> builds were done chrooted into these trees that you might have deduced
> that I was using the officially released versions.  But, I guess not
> (or you are quintuple checking), so here are the versions

Are those the versions of the compilers in the tool directories or the
versions in the hosting system?

Anyway, I've checked (since I didn't remember) and it appears that we
haven't gotten a compiler upgrade in some time -- in particular, 2.0
was released with the current compiler. That means that my hypothesis
is wrong. The performance drop from 1.6 to 2.0 was the compiler, but
this is likely something else.

Perry