Subject: Re: Enable mouse to disable screen
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Dion van der Grijp <dvdgrijp@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/2006 08:58:34
On 07 Jan, 2006, at 01:01, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:34:06PM +0800, Dion van der Grijp wrote:
>> Not everyone who uses NetBSD and notices a problem has a ready
>> solution at hand, or the necessary (NetBSD) experience to provide one.
>> And not fixing an identified problem does not render the feedback any
>> less useful or important.
>
> Will all this complaining, I still don't know what the exact problem
> is with screenblank. Is there a PR describing it? I searched the PR
> database for "screenblank" and only came up with port-next68k/23182,
> which only says that it "doesn't actually work." (Might be that
> there's no support in the next68k port for the ioctl that turns the
> display off, in which case that's a port-specific kernel problem, not
> a screenblank problem). Even if you're not going to fix the problem
> yourself, there's no excuse for not submitting a PR describing what
> the problem is.
>
> FWIW, I use screenblank on the i386 port, and it works fine for my
> purposes. It doesn't run X, and doesn't have a mouse, but the screen
> blanks after a certain amount of time, and unblanks when I press a
> key, which is all I ask for.
> --
> Name: Dave Huang         |  Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
> INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
> FurryMUCK: Dahan         |  dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog --
> TMBG
> Dahan: Hani G Y+C 30 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+
> PA+ PL++

Does it still unblank when you've switched to a virtual terminal other
than ttyE0?
 From my experience (port-i386) I have found that any activity on other
virtual
terminals has no effect and does not trigger a "wake up." Irrespective
of which
virtual terminal is active, it also does not keep track of the
configured inactivity
timeout period properly and sometimes blanks prematurely.

FWIW, a search of the mail archives reveals a lot more information.

-dvdg
________
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
                     --Henry Spencer (Usenet signature, November 1987)