Subject: Looping "NetBSD MBR boot"
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2005 19:22:10
I've got a couple of IBM Intellistation M Pro machines, running NetBSD
3.0, one with a pair of SCSI drives, one with a pair of IDE drives. Both
have run into a strange problem where on boot they just print ""NetBSD
MBR boot" over and over again. Re-running installboot(8) seems to fix
the problem.

It seems that this might be related to BIOS setting resetting themselves
on hardware changes; this happens when we pull a drive (to test booting
from the second drive of a mirrored pair) and put it back in, which
causes the bios to reset the boot device order to its default.

Any thoughts?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw