Subject: Re: dell optiplex gx520 fails to boot 2.1 cd
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2005 14:05:52
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 07:59:57PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> I think the latest GRUB in pkgsrc has patches to support this. BTW you can
> enter the root device manually, the kernel will ask if it is not set.

Well--I'll try installing this and see if it does the trick.

> Another option is to chainload the NetBSD bootloader from grub:
>
> chainloader (hd0,0,a)+1
>                  ^change to the number of your NetBSD partition - TAB will help
> boot

I read about this, but wasn't sure how to install the NetBSD
bootloader into the proper place... the installer only offered to
install it into my MBR. How does one do this? I assume that I might
end up messing up my filesystem by installing the boot loader at this
point.

However, I could easily just have misunderstood how to chainload (in
the past, my systems have only run NetBSD so I just installed the
bootloader to the MBR).

Thanks,

-- Erik