Subject: Re: dell optiplex gx520 fails to boot 2.1 cd
To: None <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2005 19:59:57
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 12:35:08PM -0500, erik@plastic-idolatry.com wrote:
> P.S. One sidenote: I wanted to keep GRUB as the bootloader, but found
> that it didn't work with my NetBSD install (the kernel would boot, but
> would complain about root= not being set or something--I can send a
> full error). I read that GRUB is not able to pass variables to the

I think the latest GRUB in pkgsrc has patches to support this. BTW you can
enter the root device manually, the kernel will ask if it is not set.

> NetBSD kernel (for booting single-user, etc). Does anyone use GRUB
> with NetBSD, and if so, how do they do it?

Another option is to chainload the NetBSD bootloader from grub:

chainloader (hd0,0,a)+1
                 ^change to the number of your NetBSD partition - TAB will help
boot