Subject: Re: dell optiplex gx520 fails to boot 2.1 cd
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2005 12:35:08
So, I just wanted to report back with the final results.

Using Tracy's USB patches, I was able to boot the install CD with the
keyboard working. However, it isn't fool-proof; it seemed like each
time I booted (or unplugged the keyboard) I had about a 40% chance of
it working. When it failed, the keyboard LEDs would all light up, and
then I'd have to unplug it and try again. Strange.

Other than that, things seem to be working well so far. I was pleased
that X worked right off the bat (getting the Intel video card to work
under linux was quite painful).

-- Erik

P.S. One sidenote: I wanted to keep GRUB as the bootloader, but found
that it didn't work with my NetBSD install (the kernel would boot, but
would complain about root= not being set or something--I can send a
full error). I read that GRUB is not able to pass variables to the
NetBSD kernel (for booting single-user, etc). Does anyone use GRUB
with NetBSD, and if so, how do they do it?

I was able to boot the install CD and then type "boot hd0a:netbsd"
instead, which is how I booted the system once the install was done.