Subject: Re: Patches for i915 integrated graphics support
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Michael Eriksson <Michael.Eriksson@ericsson.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/2005 23:42:42
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <17306.7601.77633.848212@kafka.verkstad.net>,
> 	Michael Eriksson <Michael.Eriksson@ericsson.com> writes:
> > I have attached patches that gives agp(4) support for the Intel i915
> > integrated graphics device. With them, I get full X functionality on
> > the 1400x1050 screen of my i915GM-based HP nc6220 laptop, including
> > X-Video and hardware cursor.
>
> Nice. Which X11 server do you use? XFree86?

I use XFree86 out of /usr/xsrc (for 3.0), but I have updated the i810
driver from the XFree86 CVS repository (quick-n-dirty hack). The
original driver found the chip, but the screen was all screwed up.

I have also tested x.org, from pkgsrc. The i915 doesn't work with that
version, but I got an up-to-date i810_drv.o from the net, which made
the trick.

(To make the native 1400x1050 resolution work with any X server, I had
to use the 855resolution pkgsrc package to patch the Video BIOS of the
laptop, since it lacks an 1400x1050 entry. Nice work, HP...)

> > There's still no support for an external graphics device on the PCI
> > Express Graphics Port.
>
> I intend to sync our "nv" and "radeon" driver with the X.org sources to
> get newer graphics cards supported. But most of NetBSD free time is
> tied up by the 3.0 release.

Would you please consider to update the i810 driver as well?

> > I'd be happy for any feedback.
>
> The changes look good. Have you tested for "side effects"? I remember
> that enabling agp(4) for the i865PE on my desktop's motherboard caused
> the onboard i82547EI network chip to "disappear" until I fixed that.

I haven't seen any side effects. One out of maybe 20 times I shutdown
the Opera web browser the X server hangs, but I don't think that's
because of the agp driver.

/Micke