Subject: Re: miniroot for NetBSD/i386?
To: None <hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/10/2005 11:33:22
In message <20051210044131.F06CB61E2F@mail.fehu.org>, Hubert Feyrer writes:

> No, but I think you can dd(1) a boot-big.fs to /dev/wd0b and then at the
> bootloader (5 second countdown etc.) say "boot hd0b:".
>
> Maybe make sure you have swap off or write the floppy in  singleuser
> mode:
>
> 	netbsd1# shutdown now
> 	# cd /root
> ===>	# cat <boot-big.fs >/dev/wd0b
[...]

Just curious... why a cat(1) instead of a "dd if=boot-big.fs of=/dev/..."?
dd(1) seems more robust to raw copy filesystems to/from drives.

It seems great, but I think that making a new partition is better
than using the swap partition.  It is a nice advice.  Thanks!!!

In some way, boot-big.fs is like the diskimage miniroot I was
looking for.  I will look at its contents to see what we can
do from it.

Best regards!

Igor.