Subject: miniroot for NetBSD/i386?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/2005 12:43:13
Hello!

Is there a miniroot filesystem for NetBSD/i386?  From a search on
google I see that some ports (e.g., sgimips) have a miniroot filesystem
(diskimage.gz) that can be dumped to a small 32 MB filesystem.  I think
that a miniroot filesystem would be nice; of course, NetBSD/i386 can
be booted from a CD-ROM to a miniroot-like environment but a miniroot
filesystem would be faster.

I suppose that it is mostly a waste of space (I never had a serious
problem with NetBSD), but a miniroot filesystem would be great to do
some maintanance tasks or OS upgrades.   As it is mostly quiet, it
should remain stable even in the case of a filesystem corruption that
could damage the root filesystem.

Just curious...

Cheers,

Igor.