Subject: Re: how fast ist this machine really?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/2005 10:20:36
On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:26:26AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:44:24PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> > You are using a 800MHz FSB CPU, the SpeedStep frequencies
> > shown by the est driver are computed for a 400MHz FSB, so your
> > real clock frequency is twice that, i.e. full speed.
>
> Any chance to deduce the FSB frequency and fix the est driver?

I have found a single partially documented bit that is supposed to
tell you if you have a 400MHz FSB or not. There are more bits in
the vicinity that could be a start for reverse engineering.

In any case, this will only fix the _displayed_ frequency. It doesn't
make the est driver work. For that you need the frequency/voltage
pairings which are not documented and where you are supposed to ask
ACPI about the details. I believe ACPI will also tell you about
the FSB.

--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de