Subject: Re: dell optiplex gx520 fails to boot 2.1 cd
To: None <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2005 06:36:26
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, erik@plastic-idolatry.com wrote:

> I'll take a look at the FTP site for the ISO--if you get a build done
> and want to send me a link to an ISO I would appreciate it.

ftp://ftp.cynic.net/pub/netbsd-3.2005-12-05.i386.iso

> I guess I could try netbooting; I am nervous because I haven't done it
> before and also because it seems like the kernel itself is what's
> hanging, so I think the problem might still occur unless I have a new kernel.

Well, now you have a CD to boot from. :-)

One other thing you could try would be setting up a NetBSD partition on
a USB key, and booting from that. The easiest way to do this is probably
to boot from CD with a USB key plugged in (plug it in during boot if you
can't get the machine not to try to boot from it otherwise) and do a
NetBSD install on it in the usual way, but picking options to minimize
the size of the install. A base-only release (no compiler or anything
else) ought to fit fairly easily on to a 128 MB USB key.

> Another weird thing I noticed is that I'm booting a CD, but it is
> detected as "fd0" (there is no floppy drive).

Is this the boot loader that says this? If so, that's most likely
because we use El-Torito floppy emulation for the CD-ROM boot; the boot
image on the CD is actually a file containing a 2.88 MB floppy image.
The kernel device probe output ought to detect a CD and no floppy, though.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw