Subject: Re: usb keyboard/mouse not detected in 3.0_RC5 GENERIC
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2005 10:35:14
On Friday 02 December 2005 19:36, you wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:56:57PM -0600, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
> > I've got a new Dell GX620 that I installed NetBSD 3.0_BETA on
> > November 17th.  I directly installed GENERIC.MPACPI because
> > the machine has hyperthreading.  After some fiddling with
> > the USB ports today, and having them just quit responding after
> > moving things around, I tried a GENERIC kernel.  The GENERIC
> > kernel doesn't even see all the hubs, in particular the one
> > the keyboard and mouse are connected to, and not surprisingly,
> > the GENERIC.MP kernel also doesn't see the keyboard or mouse.
> > GENERIC.MPACPI does see the keyboard and mouse, at least
> > initially, and if nothing gets removed or changed.
> >
> > And, as an additional problem, I can't drop into the debugger
> > from the display from the GENERIC.MPACPI kernel now.  (I don't
> > know if that's true for the other kernels, as I have no keyboard
> > to type control-alt-esc with.)
> >
> > I tried a current GENERIC kernel, and the keyboard and mouse,
> > and all the hubs are found properly.  I haven't yet tried
> > getting into the debugger, because at this point I was remote.
> >
> > The machine has no PS/2 ports.  Anyone know which changes to
> > the USB drivers need to be pulled up?  I can test them easily
> > enough.
>
> This is one of the set:
>
> /sys/dev/usb/ehci.c:
>   revision 1.106
>   date: 2005/11/20 14:27:25;  author: augustss;  state: Exp;  lines: +19
> -12 Keep a flag for each port that keeps track of if the port has been
> reset instead of having one flag for the controller.
>
>   Also, don't try to modify read-only power bits if the controller doesn't
>   support power cobntrol.
>
> That at least gives the time.. and
> usb/ehci.c
> usb/ehcireg.h
> usb/ehcivar.h
> pci/ehci_pci.c
>
> those were the files..
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

I encountered that same problem booting 3.0_RC5 on a GX620. I rebuilt the
release kernels with:

usb/ehcireg.h    version1.23 2005/11/20 18:36:20 augustss Exp

and hacked
pci/ehci_pci.c  to include the ehci_get_ownership code from the 1.21 version

This fixes the problem and doesn't seem to break anything else. This needs to
be pulled up before 3.0 is released. I'll send-pr it later today unless
someone has already done it.

Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org