Subject: Re: usb keyboard/mouse not detected in 3.0_RC5 GENERIC
To: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/2005 19:36:52
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:56:57PM -0600, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:

> I've got a new Dell GX620 that I installed NetBSD 3.0_BETA on
> November 17th.  I directly installed GENERIC.MPACPI because
> the machine has hyperthreading.  After some fiddling with
> the USB ports today, and having them just quit responding after
> moving things around, I tried a GENERIC kernel.  The GENERIC
> kernel doesn't even see all the hubs, in particular the one
> the keyboard and mouse are connected to, and not surprisingly,
> the GENERIC.MP kernel also doesn't see the keyboard or mouse.
> GENERIC.MPACPI does see the keyboard and mouse, at least
> initially, and if nothing gets removed or changed.
>
> And, as an additional problem, I can't drop into the debugger
> from the display from the GENERIC.MPACPI kernel now.  (I don't
> know if that's true for the other kernels, as I have no keyboard
> to type control-alt-esc with.)
>
> I tried a current GENERIC kernel, and the keyboard and mouse,
> and all the hubs are found properly.  I haven't yet tried
> getting into the debugger, because at this point I was remote.
>
> The machine has no PS/2 ports.  Anyone know which changes to
> the USB drivers need to be pulled up?  I can test them easily
> enough.

This is one of the set:

/sys/dev/usb/ehci.c:
  revision 1.106
  date: 2005/11/20 14:27:25;  author: augustss;  state: Exp;  lines: +19 -12
  Keep a flag for each port that keeps track of if the port has been reset
  instead of having one flag for the controller.

  Also, don't try to modify read-only power bits if the controller doesn't
  support power cobntrol.

That at least gives the time.. and
usb/ehci.c
usb/ehcireg.h