Subject: Re: save/restore fpu for the signal handler call
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/2005 14:32:12
> Whether FP state is saved and restored for signal has been a
> contentious issue.  In 99.9999% of programs, floating point state
> wouldn't be modified in a signal handler so why save and restore it?

The same could be said of a lot of things that are saved and restored
in a lot of contexts.  (I also think you have way too many nines
there.)

> Indeed, given the existance of sig_atomic_t as an int type implies
> that FP usage in a signal handler is unpredictable.

No - only that FP arithmetic on values shared with non-signal use is
unpredicable.  But something like

	printf("%.2f%% done\n",done*100.0/total);

inside a SIGINFO handler is totally reasonable.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign