Subject: Re: RAID controllers
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/2005 21:23:33
On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 11:48:25AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> Raptors are not so cheap.

Peoples worktime here isn't that cheap either ;-)

> Doing differential backup every day will take 10-20 minutes, and (at
> least in NetBSD) can be made while working.

Yes, but you ignored this part of my post:

>Some people may not be able to do hourly backups and may not be able to
>tolerate losing all changes since last night's backup.

Of course we do backups, and rsync off-site.

> Once more - i don't say that RAID is bad. i just say that there are very
> few cases it make real sense for security.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

RAID is *by far* the cheapest method to get a little bit of protection for
your data. It is, of course, completely  orthogonal to backups (unless you
use the three-disks-with-one-on-the-shelf-rotated-weekly backup method).

Backup is a *MUST*, RAID is a plus - but it makes perfect sense, to me.

Martin