Subject: Re: EST for Pentium M 770
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/2005 13:02:58
--TRkqPRiqIDKgfg/F

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 11:49:16AM +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 2005.11.27 11:09:57 +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> | rpaulo@fnop.net (Rui Paulo) writes:
> |=20
> |=20
> | >On the same subject, for those that need to step the Pentium M 730:
> |=20
> | >+/* Intel Pentium M processor 730 1.6 GHz */
> | >+static const struct fq_info pentium_m_n730[] =3D3D {
> | >+       { 1200, 1308 },
> | >+       {  800,  988 }
> | >+};
> |=20
> | >These two voltages seem correct, but I have no idea whether the
> | >frequencies are since this is an 1.6GHz and not an 1.2Ghz CPU.
> |=20
> | Pentium M 730 runs with a 533MHz FSB, so the frequencies are
> | "scaled" by 533/400. 1200 gives 1600, 800 gives 1066.
> |=20
> | Where did you get the values? I could need a set for a M 780 (2.26GHz).
>=20
> The first was from the est driver itself (it prints the mV and the
> freq. at boot: cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep running at 1200 MHz (1308 mV))
> and the second one is on the datasheet available from Intel, but it's
> the only one.
> Like I said, the frequencies are most likely not correct.

In all cases, the ACPI table has all this information.  I'm thinking of
providing a very dumb driver that would print out that information (it's
not always directly readable from the disassemble AML, as it might be
constructed at run time depending on OS capabilities, notably for
frequency switch latency).

The only thing that bothers me is that while the information in the ACPI
table is (well, at least should, let's not put too much trust in the
vendor's ability to build a proper table) accurate for the hardware it
runs on, it's not clear whether we should trust that information on a
given processor/laptop couple to apply to another couple.

What makes me think that is the complete silent on those details in the
Intel documentation.  They only give the extreme frequencies.  OTOH,
vendors have to find information somewhere, so where do they get it?

--=20

--TRkqPRiqIDKgfg/F

--TRkqPRiqIDKgfg/F--