Subject: Re: NetBSD-RELEASE-2.1 bugs
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/21/2005 17:31:54
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:32:47AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <001901c5ed66$5c7c8a40$0202a8c0@home>,
> David <david.vyskocil@free.fr> wrote:
> >Hi, all.
> >
> >I've installed an i386/NetBSD-RELEASE-2.1 and it seem there's some bugs
> >inside.
> >
> >1/ I booted it with the LAPTOP kernel install and all the distribution were
> >on a NTFS partition. When the installer tryed to extract the packages I got
> >many archive corruptions, I tryed by hand, idem. Then I transfered the
> >*same* files to a MSDOS partition and no problem occurs.
>
> NTFS does not work for write.

I'm afraid "me too" - then again last time I tried was years ago - from
memory:
  cd some ffs partition
  mount -r -t ntfs /dev/wd3e /mnt
  tar -czf - /mnt/dir | tar -xzf -

the files would come out corrupted, yet cp -R seemed to work. I can't think
why the 2 behaved differently...

I suppose I could resurrect on an old disk and try again..

Cheers,

Patrick