Subject: Re: Thinkpad T42 Power Management
To: Steven M.Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/2005 22:20:32
On 17-Nov-05, at 6:32 AM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message <Pine.NEB.4.63.0511171439340.8510@angelic.cynic.net>,
> Curt Sampson w
> rites:
>> So, I finally made my choice and went out and got a Thinkpad T42.
>> It seems to be working fine so far, though I've not tried X11 yet.
>>
>> However, I'm not at all familiar with any kind of power
>> management, and
>> I'm wondering what I should be using on this machine. Do I just start
>> apmd and powerd in rc.conf, and go with the manual pages from there?
>> Does anybody have any handy scripts or anything like that?
>>

> Use apm only.  Powerd requires ACPI, which (as far as I know) isn't
> really useful yet on laptops, since you can't do suspend/resume.

For what it's worth, I had suspend/resume (ACPI S1 and S3) working on
my Dell Latitude D600. -current doesn't provide a way to trigger a
suspend, so here's the (old) patch I used:

	http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/d600/acpi-sleep-sysctl.patch

You can trigger a sleep with 'sysctl -w hw.acpi.sleepstate=<n>' where
'n' is the ACPI sleepstate (1, 3, 4, etc).

There was a bug in the D600 firmware where resume would fail to re-
initialize the display adapter if it entered S3 while undocked, but
apart from that our ACPI suspend/resume code works flawlessly.
Hopefully others have better luck on different hardware.

Good luck,
Jared