Subject: Re: Can't assign requested address
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: chandru <chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/2005 17:06:55
On 08/11/05, Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org> wrote:
>         What's the lease time on your dhcp address?  What happens if you
> assign an address manually?  Can you telnet to a port on your MAC
> successfully?
>         Two possibilities come to mind:
>
> 1.  The lease time on your dhcp address is short enough that dhclient is
> dropping it before you can connect to anything.  This seems highly
> unlikely, given your output, but it occurs to me, so I offer it up for wh=
at
> it's worth.

I just checked and it is about 7 minutes. Quite short I guess. Is this
usual? I don't know. What is the recommended time for a DHCP server.
Since this is my home setup I guess I can put it up a bit more.

> 2.  More likely, the problem is actually on your MAC.  I think if you wer=
> to run tcpdump on your fxp0 interface while trying to connect to an outsi=
de
> address, you'd find that the MAC sends back a response which causes errno
> to be set to 49, which is throwoing you off the scent of the problem.  th=
> MAC is doing the NAT, right, is the ADSL router also doing NAT?  Are you
> somehow getting tripped up by double NAT?
>
>         In any case, a little time with tcpdump on the fxp0 interface on =
your
> NetBSD box will, I think, be quite enlightening.  It will answer the
> question, is the problem local or remote, where remote is the MAC, and
> remote is in the NetBSD box itself.
> -Brian

I did run ethereal on the Mac, but I couldn't actually see any traffic
other than DNS queries. But Steve's suggestion helped. I manually
deleted and added the default route and it worked straight away. Still
a bit of a mystery how it worked!

thanks for responding.
Chandru