Subject: Re: kernels built with "-march=..." hang?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/2005 17:05:45
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:30:46AM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:
>> When I build a kernel with any CPU-specific optimization flags
>> (-march=pentium-mmx, -march=pentium or even just -mcpu=pentium-mmx,
>> -mcpu=pentium which should produce i386-compatible code), the resulting
>> kernel hangs immediately upon loading.
>
> Yeah, the pentium targets do not work, pentium2 does work (on other machines).
> I think there is a PR about it, it is likely a gcc bug.

 	It may be somewhat non-deterministic based on your situation
 	(& luck :) - I've been running -march=pentium-mmx kernels for a
 	pentium 233 MMX laptop under NetBSD 2 & NetBSD 3 without any
 	problems. Prior to that I've used -march=k6-2 and -march=pentium,
 	but as the lowest spec i386 machine I have in production use is a
 	PII most everything is '-march=pentium2 -mcpu=athlon-xp'

 	I would be wary of gcc prior to 3.3.3 - the original poster
 	doesn't mention what NetBSD or gcc version he was using...