Subject: i386 (3.0-beta or -current) + nforce4 + amd8131 == no PCI-X ??
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/2005 17:29:55
I have a modest window to do various network performance measurements
on a Tyan S2895.  One important (to me) comparison is to quantify
the difference betwen 32-bit and 64-bit modes.

To my suprise, with ~yesterday's 3.0-beta/i386 or -current/i386 days
ago) both fail to attach *any* PCI-X devices on the amd8131 HT-to-PCIX
bridge.  I have two NICs in the PCI-X slots. I know the devices are
there, because pciconf lists them, and (ahem) a FreeBSD-4.11 install
on a hard-drive that came with the machine found all the PCI-X NICs.

I was really suprised, because an older Tyan with 8131 (but no
Nforce4) works just beautifully with 3.0-Beta. (unfortuately,
that other machine has no PCI-e slots and too few PCi-X slots).

Is there any hope for getting PCI-X devices to work in the Tyan s2895
bus topology?  In the Tyan board or similar Iwill boards?  Dave Huang
suggested trying a native 64-natbit kernel. If the netbsd/amd64 kernel
has a better chance, is there any way I can rejig the bootblocks
(e.g,. install amd64 bootblocks and bootloader?) to temporarily boot
the amd64 kernel?

Sorry, no dmesg, there's no floppy in this box right now either.  I
can dig one out via a usb flash dongle, but probably not earlier than
late Monday....