Subject: Re: Not able to boot from CD
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/2005 00:34:02
On Mar 27,  3:53am, Martin Husemann wrote:
} On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 01:43:15PM -0800, Harry Waddell wrote:
} > Aside from that, it "should just work". NetBSD boot cd's are pretty conservative
} > in how they are made since they just emulate a big floppy. In the last 10 years
} > I haven't had _any_ problems, so long as the bios is properly configured.
}
} I have seen various modern BIOSes that did not support the emulated floppy
} bootmode at all (most of them got fixed later).

     I've seen some not so modern ones like my ThinkPad 380Z that can
handle 1.44MB floppy images but can't handle the 2.88MB floppy images
that NetBSD uses.

} So I guess a good advice would be to check for a BIOS update first.

     Good advice, but my ThinkPad is already running the latest BIOS
available for it.

} P.S.: we are switching to "non emulation" bootmode hopefully soon, which will
} avoid this problem.

     Which brings me to repeating my question:  what is the status of
this?

}-- End of excerpt from Martin Husemann